Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Deadliest Catch Alaskan Storm

I was just wondering if anyone tried this game, it has some good reviews on the EB site but I want more opinions before I buy it.Deadliest Catch Alaskan Storm
is it out now? this game looks really cool didnt know it was out already thoi would love to try it, dont think i would buy but defientely rental worthy, and who knows if its good enough i would buy it i like the showDeadliest Catch Alaskan Storm
Yeah, I was going to rent it but they only have it to buy at my blockbuster.
there was another topic about this game a couple days ago. From what I read, it seems the game was decent, but no one really felt it was worth $60. Most people recommended renting.
It's a great game and a lot of fun, if being a crab boat skipper and fishing for crab is a fun idea for you. It's really a game aimed for the fans, but even without the Deadliest Catch names slapped on it, it's still a competent boat sim. Check my thread here for more information! I have my opinion on the game in there as well.
[QUOTE=''EnderSR388'']It's a great game and a lot of fun, if being a crab boat skipper and fishing for crab is a fun idea for you. It's really a game aimed for the fans, but even without the Deadliest Catch names slapped on it, it's still a competent boat sim. Check my thread here for more information! I have my opinion on the game in there as well.[/QUOTE]Sweet, thanks
I'm hoping there is a demo on the marketplace soon - as of this morning there wasn't.
Like I said, all the reviews from buyers on EB games site except one say its a great game.
is it just the Northwestern boat, or are there other boats from the show on there?
[QUOTE=''barilli71'']is it just the Northwestern boat, or are there other boats from the show on there?[/QUOTE] It has every major boat featured on the show.
[QUOTE=''EnderSR388''][QUOTE=''barilli71'']is it just the Northwestern boat, or are there other boats from the show on there?[/QUOTE] It has every major boat featured on the show. [/QUOTE]That may make it a bit better of a game. Only game play videos I find are on You Tube - May have to rent it as it really doesn't look like a $60 game - IMO
[QUOTE=''EnderSR388''][QUOTE=''barilli71'']is it just the Northwestern boat, or are there other boats from the show on there?[/QUOTE] It has every major boat featured on the show. [/QUOTE]It has five of the most popular boats from the show, or you can create your own.
[QUOTE=''Thomasdeleo''][QUOTE=''EnderSR388''][QUOTE=''barilli71'']is it just the Northwestern boat, or are there other boats from the show on there?[/QUOTE] It has every major boat featured on the show. [/QUOTE]It has five of the most popular boats from the show, or you can create your own.[/QUOTE] Yeah, it has the Northwestern, Cornelia Marie, Sea Star, Shellfish, but I can't remember the last one.
[QUOTE=''EnderSR388''][QUOTE=''Thomasdeleo''][QUOTE=''EnderSR388''][QUOTE=''barilli71'']is it just the Northwestern boat, or are there other boats from the show on there?[/QUOTE] It has every major boat featured on the show. [/QUOTE]It has five of the most popular boats from the show, or you can create your own.[/QUOTE] Yeah, it has the Northwestern, Cornelia Marie, Sea Star, Shellfish, but I can't remember the last one. [/QUOTE]I am also a huge fan of the show, so you recomend I get it right?
Like I said in my thread:''It's really for fans of the show. So if you can find it to rent or buy, get it. I will tell you this, it's s-l-o-w. It's starts off slow and you'll be doing a lot of tedious work when stringing out the pots. Then you have to wait at least 24 hrs before you head back to pick them up. Once you wait the desired amount of time, you head back to your bouys, one of the deckhands throws out the hook and ties it up to the winch. They winch it up, hook it to the crane and haul it on deck. They empty the pot and tell you how many keepers you get for the pot. If it's a large amount, you have the option of re-setting the pot or stacking it on the deck. You're best bet is to lay a string, wait, then pull one up on a short soak (9-12 hrs) and see how many you get. If you bring up a decent amount, re-bait the pot and set back. Wait the rest of the time and start hauling up the crab. Sometimes you'll get a lot, sometimes you get very little. It's an entertaining game if this is the stuff that entertains you (i.e., crab fishing, skippering a crab boat, hiring and firing crew, etc). It's not bad by any means, but it is an extremely niche game and most people won't like it.''
When you say wait 24hrs after setting your pots, how much time in real time is that??
[QUOTE=''Thomasdeleo'']When you say wait 24hrs after setting your pots, how much time in real time is that??[/QUOTE]If you fast time it from the plotter, it's about 1 minute, maybe a little less. I usually wait 48 hrs before bringing the pots up. One time I waited 72 hours and I pulled up my fullest pots yet! They all had around 92-99 keepers. Even netted me an achiement! (no pun intended) lol
Also, to answer the question of why there's a Deadliest Catch game, Sig Hansen (capt of the Northwestern) answers that in the games manual. Apparently they received many emails from fans of the show and had friends asking questions about crab fishing, skippering a crab boat, what it's like on the Bering Sea in a squall, etc. So they decided to make a game to answer the questions. That's why the game was created, not as a cash in for the show. Like I said, take away the Deadliest Catch name and you've still got a competent boat sim!
definitly sounds like a decent sim - maybe pick up a used copy after it's been out a while - or rent it. Even better - hopefully someone I know gets it %26 I can borrow it - that way it wont cost me anything !!!And I love the show - I watch it religiously every Tuesday !!!
[QUOTE=''barilli71'']definitly sounds like a decent sim - maybe pick up a used copy after it's been out a while - or rent it. Even better - hopefully someone I know gets it %26 I can borrow it - that way it wont cost me anything !!!And I love the show - I watch it religiously every Tuesday !!![/QUOTE] Yeah, the developer Liquid Dragon, actually tried to make a great game (very authentic to the subject matter). They didn't take the easy way out. That's why it's really a shame that so many people are down playing this game just because it based on a TV show. The gameplay mechanics work just like they should in a game of this type. It's a really great game in my opinion. You'd be hard pressed to find better looking or storm simulated waves in any game! They nailed the waters of the Bering Sea, that's for sure. Sometimes it reminds me of 'A Perfect Storm'. Especially when the waves get higher then the wheelhouse!

No comments:

Post a Comment